ACAP: Apply Now


To be eligible for ACAP, you must:

  • Be twenty-one (21) years of age or older
  • Be eligible for Medical Assistance, including Medical Assistance for Workers with Disabilities (MAWD) for people currently employed
  • Have a diagnosis of an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
  • Live or plan to live in Lancaster, Dauphin, Cumberland or Chester Counties in Pennsylvania (participant must live in one of the four counties at the time of enrollment)
  • Need an Intermediate Care Facility (ICF) level of care
  • Not have behaviors that are dangerous to themselves or others or that could cause harm to property
  • Not be enrolled in a Medical Assistance Managed Care Organization at the time of enrollment
  • Not be enrolled in the Health Insurance Premium Payment (HIPP) Program at the time of enrollment
  • Not be enrolled in a Medical Assistance home and community based waiver program at the time of enrollment
  • Have three or more substantial functional limitations in the following areas of major life activity: self-care, receptive and expressive language, learning, mobility, self-direction, or capacity for independent living


To enroll in ACAP, you must call the Bureau of Supports for Autism and Special Populations (BSASP) at 1-866-539-7689 (toll-free) and request an application. Requesting an application does not mean you will automatically be enrolled in the program. After you call, BSASP will send you an application if you meet the eligibility requirements. Applications are mailed in the order of the date and time people call.

ACAP is the first program of its kind in the nation, and it will only be able to serve 200 adults with autism. Please call BSASP today to request an application.
Fax: 717-888-9562

Contact Us

If you have questions about ACAP, please call Keystone Autism Services at 717-220-1495 or request more information online.

BSASP Contact Information
Pennsylvania Department of Human Services
Bureau of Supports for Autism and Special Populations
P.O. Box 2675
Harrisburg, PA 17105

Frequently Asked Questions about ACAP

As a parent of an adult with autism, is my income considered in determining Medical Assistance (MA) eligibility?

No. Eligibility is based solely on the circumstances of your adult son or daughter.

Do I lose my MA coverage by joining ACAP? Do I still have health insurance if I join ACAP?

You do not need to drop MA coverage to apply for ACAP. In fact, ACAP is an MA program and continues to provide full health coverage when you enroll. At the time of enrollment into ACAP, you simply switch your MA coverage from your Medical Assistance Managed Care Organization coverage and accept coverage through ACAP. There will be no lapse in your medical insurance coverage.

If I have a diagnosis, such as Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, in addition to Autism Spectrum Disorder, am I still eligible for ACAP?

Yes. A secondary diagnosis does not disqualify a person from ACAP. To be eligible, a person must have a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder but may have other diagnoses as well.

Will I need to change my primary care physician and/or dentist upon enrollment into ACAP?

Upon enrollment, your Supports Coordinator will gather information about your primary care physician, dentist and other practitioners that you may see periodically. We will contact those physicians and request that they become providers in our network. Although we cannot guarantee their participation, we will do our best to secure their services. We also have a diverse network listing of physicians.